Businesses may qualify to receive The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) for Veterans. WOTC is a federal income tax benefit administered by the U.S. Department of Labor for employers who hire individuals from specified target populations, including veterans.
This credit reduces a businesses’ federal tax liability to encourage them to select job candidates who may be disadvantaged in their employment search.
The Fidelity Bonding Program was created to assist certain at-risk, but qualified, job applicants who have bona fide offers of employment. Some employers view ex-offenders and other individuals who have questionable backgrounds as high-risk and possibly untrustworthy workers.
What is a fidelity bond?
A fidelity bond is a business insurance policy for employers that hire, retain, or promote at-risk individuals. It is purchased to protect an employer against loss due to employee dishonesty, including theft, forgery, larceny, and embezzlement.
The Fidelity Bonding Program offers a business insurance policy from Union Insurance Group. A covered employee is any worker currently bonded by the Fidelity Bonding Program.
How does the fidelity bond work?
• Bonds are issued starting at $5,000
• Bonds are issued at no cost to the employer, with no deductible
• Bonds serve as an incentive to encourage employers to hire, retain, or promote at-risk individuals
• Fidelity bonding indemnifies a single, specific employer-employee relationship
• Bond insurance becomes effective on the employee’s first day of employment
• The fidelity bond is mailed directly to the employer
• Free fidelity bonding coverage is provided for a six-month period; thereafter, if no claim is made against the bond, it can be renewed through the regular commercial network
Eligibility for bonding services
At-risk individuals eligible for fidelity bonding services include the following:
• Ex-offenders, including individuals with record of arrest, probation or police record
• Individuals with poor credit histories, including bankruptcy
• Veterans dishonorably discharged from the military
• Public assistance recipients
• Individuals with a substance abuse history
• Disadvantaged youth who lack a work history
Requests for fidelity bonding
Either the job applicant or the prospective employer can request bonding through any Workforce Solutions Office.
Need business support to survive the pandemic? We have Digital Solutions to help you jump over to an online operation and manage your business from a virtual standpoint. You can get through this, and we're here to help!